It’s already been a month since Christmas has come and gone and we are well into the midst of a relatively mild winter (praise!!) but that doesn’t mean that we can’t look back at the wonderful people in our community who helped to make Christmas 2016 so enjoyable for our residents and guests.
As we’ve posted in the past, there were many groups who made food, hosted special events and gave gifts to our residents and guests. We are so thankful for the dozens of friends who baked cookies and other Christmas treats for our residents and guests for the Christmas weekend. Everyone enjoyed being able to help themselves to as much of the sugary goodness they could handle!
In addition to all the baked goods donated, there were people in the area who helped to provide specific things to give our residents and guests during our Christmas celebration. For both our residents and guests, Christmas is only spent at The Hope Center. Many don’t have places to go or people to celebrate the season with so our facilities become their home for the holidays. We try to make it as special as we can for everyone who stays with us during Christmas so we are very thankful to people in the community who help us provide some happiness and smiles on Christmas for these special guys.
So we want to thank these various groups who helped to make our Christmas celebration with our residents and guests so special.
- Tractor Supply Company Distribution Center in Hagerstown donated 113 pair of socks, 45 NFL blankets and personal care items. This project was coordinated by their leadership team Christmas giving event. All items donated to The Hope Center were given by employees of Tractor Supply Company Distribution Center.
- The Visual and Performing Arts Dept. of Washington County Public Schools provided Christmas cards designed by their students.
- Art students at the Cumberland Valley Christian School also designed Christmas cards for our residents and guests.
- James and Doris Thrailkill donated 50 bags of Christmas candy. James & Doris have been providing these bags of candy for several years each Christmas. Their grandchildren are now helping to fill the bags!
- Valley Grace Brethren Church donated 53 “Blessing Bags” filled with personal care items, candy, socks, water, hats, gloves, granola bars and other items. For more information about Valley Grace Brethren please visit http://www.valleygrace.net or call 301.582.0155.
- Hagerstown Latino Church of the Nazarene gave 50 “Bags of Love” which included hats, gloves, snacks and personal care items. To learn more about Hagerstown Latino Church of the Nazarene go to http://www.hagerstownlatinochurch.org or call 301.992.8156.
Each year we are reminded of how blessed we are to have such a supportive community who gives so much to keep our facilities open and provide so much happiness for people in need.
Thank you to each and every one of you who gave in one way or another in 2016! We couldn’t do all that we do without your support. We appreciate you and value your commitment to this ministry.
For more information on how to become a partner of The Hope Center at Hagerstown Rescue Mission and help us continue the fight to end homelessness, hunger and hopelessness in Hagerstown then call 301.739.1165 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re interested in volunteering then check out http://www.volunteerhagerstown.com for more info.